Friday, December 09, 2005
This is not Knitting 101. This is Knitting -101 maybe.

How the yarn starts.



How it ends.



How it should not be between beginning and end.



The almost perfect little sock I made has two choices in life:

1. I can make it a mate and then, like the kingsmen in Cinderella, go search for the tiny foot it will fit. Actually, it fits me but cosily. We will see.
2. I could frame it as proof I have knitted something that worked out.

I am making a Russian, tasseled hat for Zach form Charlene Schurch's book "Mostly Mittens." Because he's grown, it takes 180 stitches around. Somewhere on row 3, I saw an error in row 1 so I am unknitting (tinking). I neeeeed to sllllow down and check things often as I go.

Notice the two bottles in the picture with the ball of yarn. Those are herbed vinegars that I made at friend's house. She invited people over and taught us this tasty craft. Vinegar, it turns out, is made with vinegar. You pour some vinegar in a bottle, some white wine, throw in the herbs and set it aside for a couple of months. It's ready to consume.

Trivia: did you know the average woman's ankle measures eight inches?
 
posted by Betty Ann at 1:08 PM |


3 Comments:


At December 09, 2005 2:37 PM, Blogger christina

Oh. You mean you're supposed to roll your yarn into a ball before you start? That explains a lot of things.

I think you should finish both of those wondrous socks, take a picture for us and wear them with pride.

I am starting my scarves over in 2x2 ribbing because stockinette stitch is TOO curly and I forgot that since I haven't knit anything in about 100 years.

 

At December 09, 2005 3:13 PM, Blogger Betty Ann

No No. You don't have to do if you can the yarn straight while it's unwinding from that long circle. Someone suggesting putting it around a large lampshade and loosening the lampshade so it can turn. I don't have one that big and wouldn't want to carry it around if I did. She meant do that to roll it up anyway.

2x2 ribbing is nice! A lot of people seem to use garter stitch because of the curliness of stockinette but that would get dull .. just knitting every row .. wouldn't it?

I wish I had more readers who would post. :(

 

At December 19, 2005 11:11 PM, Blogger Mz Mar

oh my, that yarn would have gotten squished into a bag and thrown in the back of a closet never to see the light of day again!!!
Can you give more info about making the vinegar????
Please??????