Wednesday, November 23, 2005
I have that book Learn to Knit Socks and I have a new philosphy of life which is that I will embrace my shortcomings. This started when two people, both of whom I respect, told me in one day that I might not be doing well on job interviews because my depression shows through.

First, I thought about what to do to cover the depression.

Then, I thought that if I were not depressed in this situation, some form of mental illness worse than depression would have taken over my mind.

Then, I gave up sugar and am no longer depressed.

BUT IF I WERE depressed, I would have a right to be. And as a new sock knitter, I have a right to be bad at it. So I have this beginner book Learn to Knit Socks and it has patterns for 12 socks, all knit on size 3 needles (which I know is not cool .. size 0 is the cool one .. size 1 is ok, too). Mostly, these are socks I would not want to wear. They have funny cuffs and curly-cues and look about right for a 12-year-old. Yet, I am going to make them all and from this, I will learn to make socks.

I'm wondering if CIC needs socks in adult women's size. I'm sure some kids wear this size. They don't stay small forever. The socks will all be wool, washable and warm.
 
posted by Betty Ann at 4:40 PM |


4 Comments:


At November 24, 2005 4:43 AM, Blogger christina

Oh yes! People always need socks, no matter what they look like (yours will be beautiful, of course). You could send them somewhere cold.

I like your new philsophy!

 

At November 24, 2005 7:12 AM, Blogger Betty Ann

CIC (Children in Common) seems to be a nationwide ongoing knitting event of wool socks being produced in children's sizes and sent to orphanages in eastern Europe where it is, indeed, cold. Some of these socks are totally gorgeous and are produced by experienced knitters who have enough socks already, I guess.

 

At November 24, 2005 7:30 AM, Blogger christina

Well there you are. You can learn and help others at the same time!

 

At November 24, 2005 8:41 AM, Blogger Betty Ann

Schatzi, if only there were time enough or if I were fast enough (and had enough yarn, I'd make gloves WITH fingers for them. Such a touching charity. Did you look at the web site? When kids are 17, they're forced out. My son is 17. It breaks my heart.