Monday, August 20, 2007
I don't know why I'm posting here. I have no pictures and no knitting news. Just sad. Today is the first day of school. All summer, I tried to get a job teaching with no luck at all. Mostly, I couldn't get an interview. Then one principal criticized my printing and said that "Betty" looked like "Berry" and she couldn't read it. You know that if they're not even going to try to be nice at the beginning of the interview, you're in a tough few minutes.

I interviewed for the best job in the world and the worst. Both were at correctional facilities for adolescents. The best had a staff of teachers who bragged on the academic accomplishments of the kids. The teachers were treated with respect by the institution and had some nice benefits. The worst had stand alone trailers all spread out over acres of land and the teacher would be alone in one of them with up to 15 adolescent boys who had been adjudicated to the facility. Scary!

So I'm running out of money and feeling bad bad bad. I do work parttime but my boss didn't schedule me this week! My son also worked there as a summer job and he hurt his hand last week. The boss seemed to think he was blowing it all out of proportion (but cashiers do work with their hands!) and didn't schedule either of us for this week.

Some nice things though: The guy who cuts my grass stopped by. I told him I was out of work and would call when I got a job. He said, "I'll do a quick run through and you call me when you get a job." So the yard is decent. And Patty, a woman I've never met, is sending me kefir grains. I've been drinking kefir to keep my health going but it's expensive and soon I can make my own. And weeks ago, my son lost his cell phone in Virginia while he was traveling through there on a tour bus. Someone found it and mailed it to us. I wanted to thank her with a pair of socks but she won't reply so Patty will be getting them.

Ok ... if you're reading this, wish me luck.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Betty Ann at 9:40 AM |


3 Comments:


At August 20, 2007 5:27 PM, Blogger christina

*smooches* Things will be looking up soon. I know it.

 

At August 21, 2007 9:49 AM, Blogger Diane

What a stupid principal. Probably a good thing you didn't get that job since she doesn't seem like a pleasant person.

I hope you find something soon. Sending good karma your way.

 

At August 22, 2007 5:25 AM, Blogger Deb

I'm sorry about your interview. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.